Buggy Museums?

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Re: Buggy Museums?

Post by abordick »

I welcome anyone to the NEBM. The New England Buggy Museum. It's in my basement and the price of admission is one beer.

ab
aitong
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by aitong »

abordick wrote:I welcome anyone to the NEBM. The New England Buggy Museum. It's in my basement and the price of admission is one beer.
Are souvenirs available at the museum? Maybe the kind of souvenirs that are black and have three wheels?
abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Post by abordick »

Trust me, you can't afford them. :D
wook
Organization: PhiKap
Graduation Year: 1999

Post by wook »

wook wrote:PKT Racing will mostly likely not donate any buggies to a museum, but an exhibition is a possibility.. we bring Streak out to Design every so often. that could be a good goal for everyone this year.
Wow, what a difference 2 years makes.

No promises (or decision yet), but we are considering options regarding Streak, and you all may just get your wish. We have been considering Streak's value to the CMU campus and wanted to investigate some options here.

Has anyone made any progress on this idea of a CMU Buggy Museum? Any progress with the University Archivist? Can anyone provide me with her contact info to discuss options?

We would probably be interested in discussing more "official" options, rather than in a corner in someone's basement/garage.

And we may not be interested in a permanent donation, reserving the right to take Streak back at any point.

wook
PKT Racing (Mechanic 1995-1999, Co-Chair '98, Chairman PKT Alumni Racing Company)
Celerity '98 - 2:11.60 (House Record) and 1st Place Design
Black is the fastest color. ('98) | We run a tight ship. ('99) | Finishing Races since 2003 ('04)
CrzRsn
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by CrzRsn »

lemuroid wrote:Most of the retired zoo buggys from pre 1993 (i.e. before the rise of KOs and his offspring) were in my basement out in Harrison City, PA until I moved west in 98. Now, I believe brother Phil (the p in esp) has them in a vault within striking distance of the burgh. I have the pope. he was on my wall for a while but now is in boxes at my dad's place in RI.
I believe the zoo has all the King's kids still in the house and JAMA (the king's daddy) resides with Duane 9 (also in RI). I do not think the Pope and Jama ever get to play together (the pope is just not into fat chicks). Colougo's carcas was sold. I have no idea where Jerboa lies.
I found the power-outlet pushbar in the Zoo garage a few weeks ago.

http://cmubuggy.org/forum/v/1970s/Buggy03.png.html
swiftsam
Site Admin
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2004

Post by swiftsam »

wook wrote: Has anyone made any progress on this idea of a CMU Buggy Museum? Any progress with the University Archivist? Can anyone provide me with her contact info to discuss options?

We would probably be interested in discussing more "official" options, rather than in a corner in someone's basement/garage.

And we may not be interested in a permanent donation, reserving the right to take Streak back at any point.
wook
I really wish we had more to say on this. Basically a museum is tough because it requires space and there is no free space on campus. There is also the problem of someone running it and we're pretty much out of man hours for anything ongoing. To this point the BAA has just been involved with hauling old buggies out of basements for homecoming and design comp.

The University Archivist we've been in contact with for pictures, etc is Jennie Benford. You can get her contact info here: http://directory.andrew.cmu.edu/

I hope it finds a good safe place, keep us updated
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Post by Ben »

If anyone is interested in donating old buggies to a good/fun cause:

http://goo.gl/forms/fPv8ZAFLPv