"Now for a Historical Perspective..."

DAConley
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1991

"Now for a Historical Perspective..."

Post by DAConley »

So there hasn't been a good thread on this site for a while, so I offer to you a sounding board for traditions / standards of old that should really make a comeback to regain and rebuild the great sport and competition that is Sweepstakes.

If only those involved today could have lived moments of the past...let's offer suggestions. But they better be good ones or you'll be ridiculed.

So here's a few to get you started:
> psych songs before race heats - instead of looking at Andy and Estes for too long! (sorry guys!)
> actual Aumni heats on Saturday - not 'exhibitions' with current students
> organizations actually able to control the speed of their buggies without all these riduculous 'bags' added. In your most sarcastic voice now...Great way to promote the technical competence at an engineering school..and it looks so cool! You never saw this from the competitive orgs back in the day.
SigNuSi
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2010

Re: "Now for a Historical Perspective..."

Post by SigNuSi »

> psych songs before race heats - instead of looking at Andy and Estes for too long! (sorry guys!)

If it's Andy and Estes again next year -- disagree. They've got longtime perspective on the sport. Plus the guys in trucks like to hear the calls over the radio because it tells us whether delays are up, crashes, etc. WRCT is the mechanic's friend.

> actual Aumni heats on Saturday - not 'exhibitions' with current students

Totally agree -- the SigNu PiKA showdown of 2010 was fun. However, mechanics should be given the option to run an exhibition if they like. Call it the wrench races or something. Idk.

> organizations actually able to control the speed of their buggies without all these riduculous 'bags' added. In your most sarcastic voice now...Great way to promote the technical competence at an engineering school..and it looks so cool! You never saw this from the competitive orgs back in the day.

"Bags" have always be non-speed controlling devices, they just make the safety chair feel cozy on early spring rolls. Plus, if we remove the bags CIA's going have to come up with a better gag.
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"
the cook
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

To control speed all you have to do is crank down on those ceramic bearings. That brings you to a complete stop in the chute every time.
Jmohin
Organization: SigEp

Post by Jmohin »

To control speed all you have to do is crank down on those ceramic bearings. That brings you to a complete stop in the chute every time.
Too real, man, too real.

Estes on the mic was my favorite part of this year's races. Would've been 2nd favorite but then my org shit the bed.

Alumni heats- I would do this in a heartbeat. I'm sure there's someone out there who wants to see me puke one of those apple fritters they have in the alumni tent after the world's slowest hill 2.

I like the idea of grudge matches. Like, assuming they didn't all get fat, the two best teams from two different years competing on their original buggies two years later. Like: 2008 Sigep Men's A vs 2016 SDC Men's A. I do the prep on Cuda. I'd watch the hell out of that race.
the cook
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

Just boot up Cuda with some of those MPC soft red urethane tires, full ceramic bearings, and throw in some SDC aluminum spindles or maybe rear suspension and we'll see how many pieces I can catch in a single heat.
Jmohin
Organization: SigEp

Post by Jmohin »

I'll buy you a hockey goalie outfit; that many parts flying off a buggy is an OSHA hazard