2017 Races

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: 2017 Races

Post by shafeeq »

Pope on a Rope wrote: WTF is up with people not running wheel covers, especially in un-faired wheels? Buggy speed is about the sum of a lot of tiny improvements. I saw multiple orgs moving in the wrong direction on this element. Most of the sigs (epp and nu) and a few others as well.
Clearly those people have other priorities than buggy speed. Some of the wheel covers that were run looked pretty shoddy when stationary.
Pope on a Rope wrote: It also showed that the men's buggy trap speeds are about 1 mph quicker than the women's buggy trap times. I suspect smaller humans generate less of an initial velocity for the freeroll. This is closer than I would have guessed based on historical free roll times.

I think the historical times are a bit distorted because the talent level in the women's field has been ramping up to match the men's, and presumably lighter pushers are helped more by the drop in buggy weights. In the last 30 years, the men's record has dropped 4 seconds, the women's 15. Spirit's '88 men would still make today's A teams, but their women might not make SDC A.
Elmo Zoneball wrote: Can somebody explain exactly where this speed trap was located?
At the downhill edge of the monument - the spot where an observer on Flagstaff Hill would see the buggy emerge from behind the monument.
About 130 feet uphill from the lamppost that is the "traditional" chute flagging spot.
Pope on a Rope
Organization: cmuTV
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by Pope on a Rope »

Women's finals trap times.

buggy MPH ft/sec rank
SDC A 35.67 52.31 1
CIA a 34.81 51.05 2
Fringe A 34.53 50.65 3
PKA A 34.43 50.5 4
Fringe B 34.02 49.9 5
Fringe C 33.09 48.53 6
Sig Epp 32.29 47.36 7
Apex C 31.49 46.18 8
Phi Delt 29.84 43.77 9
Apex A 29.67 43.52 10
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

Pope on a Rope wrote:Note CIA B appears to be quicker then CIA A.
Also note that CIA B failed drops. So had they used it as A, the PiKA heat would've gotten very interesting very quickly when the driver went to tap the brakes and found nothing there...
Pope on a Rope

Post by Pope on a Rope »

that is why drivers wear gloves.....
Pope on a Rope

Post by Pope on a Rope »

that is why drivers wear gloves.....
mkaplan
Organization: PhiDelt
Graduation Year: 2016

Post by mkaplan »

shafeeq wrote:
mkaplan wrote:
So either I had a thumb malfunction or PiKA saved all the good wheels for Men's A
Don't forget PiKA men's B -- I doubt that roll lacked the good stuff
That roll was a 54.6, slowest of all finals other than CIA following them.
CIA was <53 in prelims & reroll, with pushers no better than PiKA B, and PiKA A <52.
hmmm.... I was a bit drunk when I wrote that, I think that was my insecurity of B teams killing my A team coming out :(
shafeeq wrote:- Learning just how badly I lost the game of sneaking things past the safety chair.
Now that's an interesting thing to say... Is there some rumor of this year's mechanics that I haven't heard?
Elmo Zoneball
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1979
Location: Bottom of Flagstaff, watching the chute, collecting samples...

Post by Elmo Zoneball »

DAConley wrote:Elmo - trap was set up @ downhill edge of the monument 'wall', so not quite, but close to Vmax location @ or around most organizations typical 'chute' flag location. Ben is senior Pike so references the original 'chute' name for the straight speed section of the course, ahead of 'the turn' which has adopted the chute name.
Here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/knzjpeoe70egv ... t.png?dl=0

Yellow line.

That's quite a distance from vmax.

As an aside; that location is coincidentally almost exactly where the buggy photo of Intrepid was taken in my avatar photo on my posts here.
"I love the smell of solvents in the morning -- they smell like... victory."
Pope on a Rope

Post by Pope on a Rope »

That's quite a distance from vmax.
yep, technically, they probably go a hair faster another 60-80 feet down the hill, but this location is out of the way of the flaggers and buggies trying to turn and since they are all measured from the same spot, still useful.
Pope on a Rope

Post by Pope on a Rope »

i will add the the Spirit women's A team had a trap time of 36.13 MPH which is faster than the already very fast SDC women's trap time on Friday. It would have been interesting to see them in the mix. Her turn was too tight early and that was the end of that.
Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Post by Jmohin »

I'm curious to see the speed trap data from prelims.