Day 1 Recap

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Re: Day 1 Recap

Post by nbonaddio »

TommyK wrote:Fringe has competed hard in and won design 12 years in row ... looks like it finally paid off where it matters.
Fringe's matter didn't matter enough until John Boyle threw up in front of a cop. So tell me, what's a more apropos Buggy name for when your ghostwriter comes back: Phringe, or Phaust?
lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by lemuroid »

Carl Nott wrote:
TommyK wrote:I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
I thought we'd finished talking about Design Comp.

where is the "like" button?
Mackin
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by Mackin »

lemuroid wrote:
Carl Nott wrote:
TommyK wrote:I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
I thought we'd finished talking about Design Comp.

where is the "like" button?
Oh come on. Design comp is fun. Buggy needs all the public exposure it can get.

Congratulations to CIA on the win this year.
DangerMike
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by DangerMike »

nbonaddio wrote:Fringe's matter didn't matter enough until John Boyle threw up in front of a cop.
The independents have always been the beneficiaries of the frats inability to keep rolling. The same thing could have been said when ATO was banned, Beta & DTD stopped participating, etc. Even Theta Xi and DTD's withdraws gave independent orgs a leg up. Before SigEp could build, they pushed for Fringe. These are only the instances that I know about. I'm sure there are a lot more.

Nick, you can suck those sour grapes as hard as you want, but those KDR brothers who wanted to continue to participate could have just as easily gone to SDC, Spirit, or CIA. They could have completely taken over (in terms of numbers) the Pioneers program. Buggy is as much about recruiting as it is about building.

For what it is worth, I'm pretty sure that KapSig (last time around) and PiLam faded from the scene without making much of a splash, but they were the exception, not the rule.
nbonaddio

Post by nbonaddio »

DangerMike wrote:
nbonaddio wrote:Fringe's matter didn't matter enough until John Boyle threw up in front of a cop.
The independents have always been the beneficiaries of the frats inability to keep rolling. The same thing could have been said when ATO was banned, Beta & DTD stopped participating, etc. Even Theta Xi and DTD's withdraws gave independent orgs a leg up. Before SigEp could build, they pushed for Fringe. These are only the instances that I know about. I'm sure there are a lot more.

Nick, you can suck those sour grapes as hard as you want, but those KDR brothers who wanted to continue to participate could have just as easily gone to SDC, Spirit, or CIA. They could have completely taken over (in terms of numbers) the Pioneers program. Buggy is as much about recruiting as it is about building.

For what it is worth, I'm pretty sure that KapSig (last time around) and PiLam faded from the scene without making much of a splash, but they were the exception, not the rule.
Oh, don't get it twisted - I'm as happy as anyone that Fringe won; better them than their wholly unlikable competitors. What I'm merely trying to opine is that our sanctions have been a boon for Fringe - the extent of which we can disagree upon - and that the advantage gained may have inadvertently entered them into a Faustian contract with a two-year strike date.
Last edited by nbonaddio on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TeachMeHowToBuggy
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 1920

Post by TeachMeHowToBuggy »

DangerMike wrote:
nbonaddio wrote: They could have completely taken over (in terms of numbers) the Pioneers program. Buggy is as much about recruiting as it is about building.
I wasn't recruited by Fringe. I just wanted spoils of war in the form of trophies and females.
nbonaddio

Post by nbonaddio »

TeachMeHowToBuggy wrote:
DangerMike wrote:
nbonaddio wrote: They could have completely taken over (in terms of numbers) the Pioneers program. Buggy is as much about recruiting as it is about building.
I wasn't recruited by Fringe. I just wanted spoils of war in the form of trophies and females.
That's a Gourlay right there.