Getting Buggy some publicity

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Re: Getting Buggy some publicity

Post by TommyK »

With cmuTv, BAA video section and all the amateur youtube chute footage theres fertile ground for a social networking, viral buzz thing. Spread those links around the bboards, facebook and twitter. post them relentlessly on reddit, boingboing, failblog etc Can we get the spirit somersault on Tosh.0? aren't we the digital dork capital of the mid-atlantic region?
CrzRsn
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by CrzRsn »

Buggy got TV publicity in 1983,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwO4gNAFJ8Y
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

The rolls report is a brilliant idea!
Elmo Zoneball
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1979
Location: Bottom of Flagstaff, watching the chute, collecting samples...

Post by Elmo Zoneball »

shafeeq wrote:The rolls report is a brilliant idea!
Thanx.

The hard work is already being done by whomever it is (Sam?) who posts all that juicy gossip, fact, rumor, and photos each week here on the BAA site -- all we need to do is share it with the Tartan.

Another avenue might be a weekly video report on cmuTV -- again, perhaps using video taken by alumni or orgs who are already attending Free rolls. A 2-5 minute summary would do, each week. Nothing fancy -- Just a simple Dragnet style report: "just the facts' ma'm" narration over some photos and video. Keep it simple.

Yet another suggestion: Have the Sweepstakes committee appoint a student to be PR coordinator -- their sole job would be to facilitate the sort of stuff I'm talking about.

The most important point I can make is that enthusiasm for Buggy must be created and foster inside out -starting with the greater CMU undergrad community. If they lose interest in the races, it's over -- the only question would be how long it hangs on before withering on the vine.

External PR can wait while interest in Buggy is cultivated on campus first.
"I love the smell of solvents in the morning -- they smell like... victory."
RedTachyon
Graduation Year: 2013

Post by RedTachyon »

I know Buggy was a huge selling point to my daughter! And now that I make my coworkers watch raceday on the livestream with me, they are sold too. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that their children will head to CMU.
Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by Carl Nott »

This is all great stuff.
Elmo Zoneball wrote:Yet another suggestion: Have the Sweepstakes committee appoint a student to be PR coordinator -- their sole job would be to facilitate the sort of stuff I'm talking about.
I might also suggest a BAA PR coordinator position.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

Elmo Zoneball wrote:
The most important point I can make is that enthusiasm for Buggy must be created and foster inside out -starting with the greater CMU undergrad community. If they lose interest in the races, it's over -- the only question would be how long it hangs on before withering on the vine.
I agree 100%. Getting more undergrads excited about it is the way to get more excited alumni. And since buggy alumni as a group are good at staying involved, that should be of interest to the University fundraisers.

Activities fairs are good for finding people who are looking for something to do with their spare time. But sucking in the people who weren't looking for an extra activity, don't have the time for it, but get hooked anyway, is also key. We managed to pick up our hill 1 because push practice was between her & the library.