PiKA

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Re: PiKA

Post by nbonaddio »

ipmcc wrote:Out of curiosity, and quasi-rhetorically, how does a house survive that?
It's tough. At the very least, it requires a very strong Alumni base, a concerted effort from National, and Student Life actually promoting and working with the organization.

I sort of understand the logic of Student Life's four year mandate. They want four years because it ensures the organization will be getting a fresh start, since presumably no brothers could reactivate. On the flip side of that, it also ensures that institutional knowledge like how to build a buggy and so forth doesn't get passed down. They're willing to sacrifice the organization's ability to immediately contribute to the campus to ensure that the bad operational knowledge doesn't get passed down.

DTD is apparently up to 55 brothers already, so it can be done. They're not analogous to PiKA/PhiKap/KDR though, since they weren't exactly active on campus in the years leading up to their demise. Since we're likely coming back first out of the three mentioned above, I suspect we're going to have to figure it out and advise the other two on the finer points of hitting the ground running.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

nbonaddio wrote: They're willing to sacrifice the organization's ability to immediately contribute to the campus to ensure that the bad operational knowledge doesn't get passed down.
That's basically throwing out all the good operational knowledge along with the bad. Including the painfully-earned operational knowledge of "we fucked up in a bad way." KDR, with a 2 year ban could've passed on that lesson, but can't if it is gone for 4 years. I can understand it if the bad is so bad that it outweighs the good, but if the university is so worried about the the last two years of actives passing on their bad knowledge, why isn't it worried that the same people will continue to behave the same without a house?

Certainly a blank slate is easier for the university to manage. Especially when it comes to saying "follow the rules or else." To me, that is pushing the lesson "don't get caught doing something stupid," rather than "don't do something stupid, because that would be stupid."
CMU has(had?) some policies that I thought were smart in this regard - eg, not citing underage drunks who need medical attention, in contrast with Pitt which stationed a cop to check ID's outside the ER.

Similarly, nobody is going to fire up a grill next to their truck in the future. Banning SDC for the full year ban wasn't going to teach that lesson any better.
ipmcc
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by ipmcc »

shafeeq wrote:That's basically throwing out all the good operational knowledge along with the bad.
Certainly a blank slate is easier for the university to manage. Especially when it comes to saying "follow the rules or else."
This. When you start from scratch, Student Life can foster whatever culture they want. If things start to head in a direction Student Life doesn't like, it's much easier to squash (or, in lesser cases, nut punch) a rebuilding house.

With alumni, you get the "this is how it used to be" stories once or twice a year. With an active chapter, you get continuity, and with continuity, resistance to change.

I'm not confused as to why they do this... just curious how a chapter can feasibly recover.
nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Post by nbonaddio »

ipmcc wrote:
shafeeq wrote:That's basically throwing out all the good operational knowledge along with the bad.
Certainly a blank slate is easier for the university to manage. Especially when it comes to saying "follow the rules or else."
This. When you start from scratch, Student Life can foster whatever culture they want. If things start to head in a direction Student Life doesn't like, it's much easier to squash (or, in lesser cases, nut punch) a rebuilding house.

With alumni, you get the "this is how it used to be" stories once or twice a year. With an active chapter, you get continuity, and with continuity, resistance to change.

I'm not confused as to why they do this... just curious how a chapter can feasibly recover.
I don't have any real answers, but if KDR can roll 2:15 within five years, you'll know that it's possible.
McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by McCue »

Is there any late breaking news on this?
Curtis
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by Curtis »

No campus housing for at least 3 years, but Pika still exists and is a recognized org as of now.
TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Post by TommyK »

But can they still race?
abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Post by abordick »

Today, they are still a recognized CMU organization, however, they have a long challenging road ahead of them and it will require exceptional leadership and dedication to merely exist next April.
BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Post by BuggyBob »

Can anyone give an update on the current status of Pika? I have heard the following:
* They are not in the 'house' anymore. Where are they? Off campus? In the dorms?
* Does Pika exist or is it disbanded (like Phi Kap)??
* I heard the school 'recognizes them? What does that mean? Can they participate in campus activities (like buggy) or not? I do not seem them rolling this fall (seems odd to me due to their previous strong determination to be out on the cours)e. Perhaps they have organization problems (not hard to believe) or are not permitted.
-
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."
rlbrowne
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2014

Post by rlbrowne »

PiKA is not rolling this fall. I have heard they are planning on being back in the spring, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.