News Discussion - Buggy Books of History

swiftsam
Site Admin
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2004

News Discussion - Buggy Books of History

Post by swiftsam »

We just released our first in a series of buggy books from record-breaking years. Check it out in the News section:
http://cmubuggy.org/News/?p=221

Were you there in 1981? Any first hand accounts? Comments about much cooler buggy books used to be?
janicesg
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2001

Re: News Discussion - Buggy Book 1981

Post by janicesg »

I'm really impressed how I got a feel for what buggy was like in 1981 by reading the buggy book. I wonder if the current books will still have that effect 20-30 years from now
Janice (Golenbock) Schneekloth
BAA Chairman 2010-2012
Sweepstakes Chair 2002-2004
Fringe Driver 1998-2002
DangerMike
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by DangerMike »

What I found interesting about it was the big text blocks on each organization's page instead of a roster. Most buggy book pages I've seen have a roster, a picture of the buggy, and maybe a choice phrase. Nothing like the chest-thumping bravado on the CIA page or the meek, hopeless confession from Theta Xi. The only page in there that might fit in a modern-era book is the ZBT page, which shows a picture, the roster, and a quote from Rush.

That book makes me want to go watch the race, but it is a not a time-capsule for future buggy historians like most books are now. I think I like the feel of this book more. The assurance from the Safety Chair that all drivers will be adequately protected from radiation and pasta just makes it awesome.
Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit

Post by Carl Nott »

DangerMike wrote:The only page in there that might fit in a modern-era book is the ZBT page, which shows a picture, the roster, and a quote from Rush.
That's because they have a picture of a Spirit buggy on their page. It's, like, foreshadowing of awesome. Or something.
JYuhas
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 2010

Post by JYuhas »

50 mph?!

wow-whoosh!
aitong
Organization: CIA

Post by aitong »

The picture of the sweepstakes committee is the kind of awesome you can't buy.
DangerMike
2nd Organization: CIA

Post by DangerMike »

Did anybody else notice that the safety chairman, aside from being the only male in the picture, also is the only one with glasses and the only one without a hat. Or shoes. Or pants!
SigNuSi
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2010

Post by SigNuSi »

50 mph? Not possible, I think the fastest clocked was Zoo's Colugo in '86 or '87 going 43 mph after a spin!
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

Colugo 38 mph by police radar 1984 - just before spinning, or rather, slamming into the bales with great force. The driver was, shall we say, a little heavier than ideal. The next fastest reading was 33 mph that year.

I now routinely get 35 mph on most top men's team rolls and 33mph on women's. SDC saw 36 last year.
lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by lemuroid »

the cook wrote: just before spinning, or rather, slamming into the bales with great force.

Slam is the perfect description. One of more of the wheels needs to slide to count as a spin. She turned just enough to aim directly for the hay. The buggy went exactly where she pointed it. From the follow car, I had a great view of the horror.

The development path for Colugo in 84 was one of constant change. Colugo started life as a 2 wheeled design with outriggers. We scrapped that idea before it ever saw the course. On the weekend after spring break, colugo rolled for the first time. She was configured as a 3 wheeled trike with huge ground clearance, a cardboard body(still would have passed today's safety rules), and disk brakes (donated by scorpion). The huge ride height was due to the front fork still being in a '2 wheeler friendly' configuration. The next weekend colugo rolled with a more typical ground clearance and a symmetrical rear axle (still with disk brakes). The following weekend (truck weekend) we added a smooth front cone, drag brake, and moved to the asymmetric rear configuration that it saw on race day. Only on race day, did it have a full body with all the aero goodness it deserved. I cannot blame Jane, the driver, as the increase in speed from truck weekend to race day was huge (despite rolling well on truck weekend). I blame the mechanics (self included) for a late development cycle and not projecting the speed that would come from changing from a boxy cardboard shell to a smooth body.

Although Colugo returned in 85 to win, she was really never the same buggy after that wreck. In 84, I timed Colugo, running as our B team, ahead of our A team at the crosswalk by over a second. The A team was not shabby that year, running in the 2:09 range with an aging Lemur. The combination of a mighty Al Pollard shove on 2, a shapely driver, the zoo's best wheels ever, and a tight young colugo, made for some tasty speed. Speed that never made it past the chute.