They took the bar!

SigNuSi
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2010

They took the bar!

Post by SigNuSi »

For those who haven't found out yet, the Panther Hollow Inn has confirmed through facebook that it will be shutting down as of the end of next month. CMU bought the property and plans to convert it into office space. Sad day for all.
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"
blue
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2013

Re: They took the bar!

Post by blue »

I'm not even a pretend authority on any of this, but I heard that CMU is planning on turning it into a parking garage.

This is to go with the vaguer (and hopefully less likely) '20 year plan' that includes building new academic building things (and possibly a dorm or two, but I don't think that was listed in the last version of the plan I saw) on the Morewood parking lot.

I'm sorry if this starts a sewage storm, I really don't want to do that...
Jmohin
Organization: SigEp

Post by Jmohin »

Let's cool it with the alarmism... CMU's monstrosity of a parking structure/office building will occupy that garage and some houses behind it, and go down the hollow a bit. PHI is left untouched in the 10-year master plan PDF, but things could have changed since then. I'd love to get a statement from the depasquals (the owners) but i don't know how to get in touch with them.

From what I can tell by checking records, PHI hasn't paid taxes since 2010 and has about a 5k lien on their heads. How they can't pay that, I don't know, because they probably clear that amount on a weekend.
blue
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2013

Post by blue »

I really wasn't going for alarmism, it was more about more parking vs. more office spaces (still entirely within rumor-land).

In my mind, the CMU campus/area is shorter on parking than on office space. So while some people will always be sad over a possible PHI disappearance, there are still better and worse possible reasons for it.

Or nothing happens, and we all look silly. (But we do buggy on this forum, so that's not new at least).
McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by McCue »

Jmohin wrote:I'd love to get a statement from the depasquals (the owners) but i don't know how to get in touch with them.
https://twitter.com/crabriella/status/3 ... 3591608320
SigNuSi
Organization: SigNu

Post by SigNuSi »

blue wrote:I really wasn't going for alarmism, it was more about more parking vs. more office spaces (still entirely within rumor-land).

In my mind, the CMU campus/area is shorter on parking than on office space. So while some people will always be sad over a possible PHI disappearance, there are still better and worse possible reasons for it.

Or nothing happens, and we all look silly. (But we do buggy on this forum, so that's not new at least).
This is the description of the parcel where PHI lies now. In the master plan CMU states that they have acquired the parcel (p. 80).

18. North of Forbes Development Site
DESCRIPTION USES SQUARE FEET HEIGHT
SETBACK
New mixed use building with up to 500 underground parking spaces
Office and research for corporate partners, hotel, academic, ground floor retail on Forbes, parking 385,000 gsf
6 stories (90 ft) first 25 ft from Forbes Ave;
4 stories (50 ft) first 50 ft on Filmore St frontage
10 stories (150 ft) beyond stepbacks
North and East: 15 ft from property line
South and West: 5 ft from property line
Note: Residential Compatibility Standards apply

Note p. 45 too -- says the Greek Quad would be getting a redesign on the 25-year plan.
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Post by Ben »

Sources be damned, word on the street is that the people that bought PHI will be keeping them around for at least another year.
CRStengel
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 1993

Post by CRStengel »

I heard the furniture was slated to be delivered to an address on Margaret Morrison before they demo it for a parking lot.