Rivalries and Match-ups

DAConley
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1991

Rivalries and Match-ups

Post by DAConley »

100 years of Spring Carnival…has seen some very good rivalies and match-ups over the years The University would like to make this year special, put an emphasis on Alumni Heats, and continue to showcase this unique blend of engineering and athleticism.

A few years back we had a great alumni heat between Pika and Zoo that was both historical and competitive. So, what other classic match ups would the buggy alums LOVE to see and what organizations are able to field such teams?

It's too bad we can't run 'vintage' buggies with alumni drivers or I'm sure we'd have much more interest.

Let's hear your thoughts
DAConley

Re: Rivalries and Match-ups

Post by DAConley »

Really…no interest! No feedback? I'm dissappointed in this crowd. We got a Pika vs Spirit heat that might be more entertaining than the men's finals. Come on, 40-50 year old guys, half hung over, the other half still drunk, after a night of reminiscing about their mastery of the sport, reliving the 'Glory Years' of Buggy. You're telling me there isn't another Grudge Match out there?

Where's the interest in Fringe vs SDC from the 2000s when both teams took big steps forward?

Greek Alums: you got a team without a ride? Let me know, I'll get you one - but you're going to have to buy the beers!
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Post by Ben »

I know I've heard interest from both SDC and Fringe, lets get some names!
abordick
Graduation Year: 1994

Post by abordick »

Will we be able to buy the lead truck for the grudge match? I mean, that's where the rich alumni can watch their rich friends puke trying to relive their glory days.
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Post by Ben »

Oh, that's a good question, I'll check to see what we can do to add that in, I know we talked about it very breifly but in the rush to get it up and ready we forgot about that.
DAConley

Post by DAConley »

Good to see another 'grudge match' with SDC and Fringe. Is there anyone else out there looking for a run? Pika is likely able to field another team. Perhaps there's another Greek org that would like to pull something together? Even if you don't "have a buggy", let's see if we can field a team with a borrowed buggy? Ths is the essence of what the Alumni heats use to be back in the day.
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

Why not try a couple "cash on the barrelhead" truck auctions? Step right up - do I see $20 ? Just sell the seat right then and there to whoever want to pay the most.
abordick
Graduation Year: 1994

Post by abordick »

Might want to post a few news items about the auction ending in 1 day. I'm sure a lot of people are just waiting. We should try to raise as much money as possible.
felmley
Organization: Spirit
2nd Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 1988

Post by felmley »

ANNDD...yet again alumni and exhibition heats are cut short or cancelled. The well publicized "Grudge Match" gets cut last minute by the Sweeps chair who has been probably threatened within an inch of her life that races MUST END AT NOON or else THE WORLD WILL END. I have told my guys that we ought to call our alumni pushers Team Disappointment, as we never race. I understand this is for the students, but damn, it was a beautiful day and we have been doing this ninety-freakin'-four years. We had the MAYOR there. The Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix (only 31 years old) shuts down the WHOLE of Schenley Park for 3 days straight! An extra HOUR and we could do all sorts of things.

These races are perceived as the the Bald Headed Stepchild event of the city. They keep expecting this will all go away. Just imagine if we were not the bearers of Bubonic Plague and we got to race ALL DAY on Friday and Saturday. Then we could have Miss Budweiser- and Limo-type buggies roll, because we would have the time to do it and know that we could get it all in regardless. We could have fun AND competition.

We have the power now to change this, if we want to.
how the mighty have fallen