derby 2010

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: derby 2010

Post by shafeeq »

lemuroid wrote: BTW, if you are going to throw around stats like '6 of the 11 by ZE', I will point out that 4 of the best 6 times were CSR/SN racing, including the quickest.
So who was the underdog who only beat last year's record once?
TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Post by TommyK »

you could try this pocket radar at the next derby thing - i guess with hundredths and thousandths separating the winners it may not be accurate enough
lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by lemuroid »

shafeeq wrote:
So who was the underdog who only beat last year's record once?
There were no cars other than the top 2 cars from both ZE or CSR/SN racing with times below the record time in 2009. The reason the number or runs bettering the record from 2009 is 11 and not 12 (as you would expect) is that the winning car skipped round 2 due to a delay in loading the driver. While both ZE and CSR/SN had wheels on other cars in the race, the top 2 could be considered "factory" efforts.

The highest placed car not from either the ZE or CSR/SN factory efforts, was the 5th place car. The car was new to the race in 2010 and was running wheels I built in 2009 (same wheels finished 4th that year). I did not support this effort beyond supplying a spare wheel (which they did not need and later returned). This car did not beat the 2009 record but would have finished 2 in 2009 with the time it ran. This is a fast car with more speed to come as it develops. They may also have been somewhat handicapped by not being seeded in the top 7 and thus not in sync in terms of lane and weather with the other top cars.

The 6th and 8th place cars were the highest ranked not running a wheel with links to ZE or CSR/SN. Both had times above the 2009 record but under the 3rd place time. These cars ran what I think of as a 'mini "pka" wheel'. These were the same teams running "pka" wheels with some success in 2007 and/or 2008. The wheel was new to the race this year and I suspect there is more speed to come from these. Not clear if these will make their way to cmu. If they do, I would expect to see them on a PKA buggy.

Speaking of small(er) wheels, 5 different wheel designs in sizes smaller than a xootr took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th. None of these has been seen at cmu thus far.

ZE also had wheels on the 7th , 9th and possibly 13th place cars.

CSR/SN had wheels on the 10th and 12th placed cars. Photos posted

'PKA' wheels ran on one car and finished 11th. Similar looking wheels won in 2007 and 2008.

Pneumatic wheels that dominated the early years of this race (before 2007) ran on one car and it finished 15th. Not the same type of pneumatics we know here @ cmu.

Wheels based on xootr rims but of indeterminate origins were on cars finishing 14th ,16th and 17th. While I suspect the 17th placed wheel was a modified xootr, the 14th and 16th might have been made in RI. In any case, Black jelly << blueberry< strawbery.

Other interesting wheels were in the race but finished a diatant 18th and 19th.

Not seen this year: goodyear 12 inch rubber wheels, orange, white or green wheels, skateboard wheels.
lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by lemuroid »

AASBD updated the ultimate section to include a history of the race and then updated that to reflect 2010.

http://www.aasbd.org/media/13681/usc_2011_history.pdf