CIAs Ascension
SDCs Bane
Fringe's BAMF
SigEp's Mamba
PiKa's RD'11
Sprit's M.Bazuko

chances they roll A-team?
truck weekend is two weeks away ...
I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of these buggies be Men's B/Women's A instead of Men's A team.

A general trend in teams that build after a long hiatus is that the first is a learning experience, the second is pretty good but not necessarily the best in the fleet, and the third and beyond are more or less state of the art for the org. SigEp, AEPi, and CIA all seem to have followed that trend recently while Fringe and SDC were in that situation in the late 90s/early 00s. Therefore, I would be surprised if Ascension were not A team for CIA. It is also why I would not be surprised if 'Zuko were not A team for Spirit.

Bane and Bonsai are both toss ups. Both look to be well constructed but both also need to unseat incredibly good buggies to warrant an A team placement. I'd say that Bane has a 50/50 shot at replacing Malice but I think Bonsai may have to replace Banyan for the sole reason that Banyan is getting "old" and Fringe needs something new to focus on.

I would wager against Mamba and PiKA RD'11. Mamba is a new steering design (Ackerman vs. wagon unless pictures deceive me) compared to Peregrine, Barracuda and Messiah which I think might be just enough to edge it out. RD'11 was a significant surprise after the Chimera/Nemesis twins both in design layout and exterior finish quality. The changes make me question whether it will be able to take the top spot.

All these opinions are only that and are based mostly on pictures, conjecture, and comparisons with other buggies in each team's fleet.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: Racing the New Buggy as Men's A-team

Post by shafeeq »

abordick wrote:Plus, buggies get tired. I have a basement full of buggies that are sagging/soft/worn out.
One can hurry that process along by ignoring maintenance on the old buggy, since you're busy building the new one which you think is going to be better anyway. So you end up comparing the new buggy, at its best, against the old, not at its best.

Similarly, assuming the new buggy will be the A team can lead to discovering that you've qualified your best driver in the wrong buggy, when it is too late to change.
rlbrowne
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2014

Post by rlbrowne »

DeVos wrote:
TommyK wrote:So of the new fleet ...
I think Bonsai may have to replace Banyan for the sole reason that Banyan is getting "old" and Fringe needs something new to focus on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Banyan's driver has now moved into Bonsai, so I would assume Bonsai is replacing Banyan. Also from what I've heard, Bonsai has MONSTER rollout, better than both Banyan and Malice have had (I didn't see it myself, but more than one person has said this). With speed and rollout like that (and driver issues?), especially if they're not rolling Banyan, I'd be very surprised if Bonsai didn't roll for both A teams this year.
Mackin
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by Mackin »

CIA's Ascension - Looks like a legit buggy, good job guys! Is this camber intentional? <http://cmubuggy.org/forum/v/2010-2011/2 ... 5.JPG.html>
SDC's Bane - Identical to Malice (but I am color blind so idk). Seems just as fast as their other buggies (not really a surprise).
Fringe's Bonsai - Refers to the tree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai NOT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai
SigEp's Mamba - Bit different style than the recent builds, best of luck with the changes.
PiKa's RD'11 - Reverse trike, a bold move and a big change, but seems to be working so far. Body of the buggy is surprisingly similar to the buggy in the BAA logo.....
Spirit's M. Bazuko - Don't know too much about this buggy. Most definitely going to call it bazooka.

I'm always glad to see teams building, new buggies are fascinating. Especially if they are fast and solid enough to make A team their first year out. Bonsai is a neat buggy with a 'MONSTER' rollout, but don't try to visit our tent to sneak a peak. And if you've already tried, don't try again. Seriously.
TeachMeHowToBuggy
Graduation Year: 1920

Post by TeachMeHowToBuggy »

Mackin wrote: And if you've already tried, don't try again. Seriously.
We'll release the hounds. Or the over-caffeinated drivers.
galexkeene
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2008

Post by galexkeene »

Pika's new buggy is a reverse trike? Thought it was one front-two back for wheels.
Mackin
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by Mackin »

Correction!

I meant to say Pika's new buggy is a STANDARD trike. As opposed to Chimera/Nemesis.
McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by McCue »

Mackin wrote:don't try to visit our tent to sneak a peak.
Request denied.
McCue

Post by McCue »

Also TeachMeHowToBuggy is the greatest username ever. Who is that for real?
McCue

Post by McCue »

Oh nevermind it's Rob. Compliment revoked.