Your Favorite Organization Sucks

TeachMeHowToBuggy
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 1920

Re: Your Favorite Organization Sucks

Post by TeachMeHowToBuggy »

nbonaddio wrote:SigEp obviously sucks the most and hardest, for reasons that frankly are obvious.
There are many reasons we may disagree on these forums, but I feel confident saying we can all agree on this.
Mackin
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by Mackin »

TeachMeHowToBuggy wrote:
nbonaddio wrote:SigEp obviously sucks the most and hardest, for reasons that frankly are obvious.
There are many reasons we may disagree on these forums, but I feel confident saying we can all agree on this.

Absolutely.
TommyK
Graduation Year: 2001

Post by TommyK »

lemuroid wrote:sdc, fringe, and pka have new buggies, each built with the intent of being faster, results on all not understood

back to my point, it is silly to call this a 2 horse race at this point.
Sure, but with SDC and Fringe mounting solid leads, five and three seconds respectively, ahead of the closest non-B team last year, a reasonable way to find out if they will fall back within reach of the second tier teams is to look at their B-team times and watch for new faces with fast legs. Easier than stalking Pika in the middle of the night or betting on a Spirit buggy making it through the chute without something exploding (you'd think getting off pneumatics would have solved that) or SigEp to stop sucking.

Fringe has big shoes to fill (low 16s hill 1) in order to repeat a sub 2:07 time, especially since their B-team struggled to make 2nd day (or even beat their own C-team), but they should have some motivation to prove they deserve the trophies they now possess. With Bonsai again showing its quickness with another raceday caliber downhill time (sub 52 on sunday), optimism is not unnaturally high.

Pika needs the new blood to be fast or the old dogs to be hungry (last win was 3 years ago) to have one of their good years, and they need to hit a home-run with their first standard tryke in ... 19 years? Hope they guessed right about the axle placement, and I respectfully disagree that high-cis polybutadiene is superior to PU.

SDC ... they have the talent, the technology, the funds, the record and a deserved chip on their shoulder. Can they handle the pressure? Will they win with their B-team anyways? Will there be anti-FMB tee-shirts?

Can't wait to get up at 3am and watch ...
lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by lemuroid »

TommyK wrote:
lemuroid wrote:sdc, fringe, and pka have new buggies, each built with the intent of being faster, results on all not understood

back to my point, it is silly to call this a 2 horse race at this point.
Sure, but with SDC and Fringe mounting solid leads, five and three seconds respectively, ahead of the closest non-B team last year, a reasonable way to find out if they will fall back within reach of the second tier teams is to look at their B-team times and watch for new faces with fast legs. Easier than stalking Pika in the middle of the night or betting on a Spirit buggy making it through the chute without something exploding (you'd think getting off pneumatics would have solved that) or SigEp to stop sucking.

Fringe has big shoes to fill (low 16s hill 1) in order to repeat a sub 2:07 time, especially since their B-team struggled to make 2nd day (or even beat their own C-team), but they should have some motivation to prove they deserve the trophies they now possess. With Bonsai again showing its quickness with another raceday caliber downhill time (sub 52 on sunday), optimism is not unnaturally high.

Pika needs the new blood to be fast or the old dogs to be hungry (last win was 3 years ago) to have one of their good years, and they need to hit a home-run with their first standard tryke in ... 19 years? Hope they guessed right about the axle placement, and I respectfully disagree that high-cis polybutadiene is superior to PU.

SDC ... they have the talent, the technology, the funds, the record and a deserved chip on their shoulder. Can they handle the pressure? Will they win with their B-team anyways? Will there be anti-FMB tee-shirts?

Can't wait to get up at 3am and watch ...
Is that a really long way of saying you won't take my bet?
TommyK

Post by TommyK »

lemuroid wrote: Is that a really long way of saying you won't take my bet?
Since you're looking for a reason to root for a team that actually has a chance ... fine, if you cheer for Pika when they roll through the chute. They do claim to be quite charming.
the cook
Organization: SigNu

Post by the cook »

>>>"and I respectfully disagree that high-cis polybutadiene is superior to PU"

as with all things it depends on the chef.
lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

TommyK wrote:
Since you're looking for a reason to root for a team that actually has a chance ... fine, if you cheer for Pika when they roll through the chute. They do claim to be quite charming.
i was not looking for a reason to root for anyone. I was calling bullshit on the assertion that the race was down to fringa a and scd a based on data from the fall and March free rolls.

I have enjoyed buggy for many years despite my favorite team not having a strong possibility of winning. Probably very similar to how Fringe team members felt during the 70s, 80s, and 90s and during the pka streak.

While pka has a good chance of helping me win the bet, they are not the only possibility. sdc b, sigep, and spirit, also have a shot. Additionally, fringe 'a' could simply not finish.

As far as rooting goes. I will root for the zoo (should they roll) and against fringe a (given our bet). Chances of me rooting for pka = 0.
TommyK

Post by TommyK »

lemuroid wrote:
TommyK wrote:
i was not looking for a reason to root for anyone. I was calling bullshit on the assertion that the race was down to fringa a and scd a based on data from the fall and March free rolls.

I have enjoyed buggy for many years despite my favorite team not having a strong possibility of winning. Probably very similar to how Fringe team members felt during the 70s, 80s, and 90s and during the pka streak.

While pka has a good chance of helping me win the bet, they are not the only possibility. sdc b, sigep, and spirit, also have a shot. Additionally, fringe 'a' could simply not finish.

As far as rooting goes. I will root for the zoo (should they roll) and against fringe a (given our bet). Chances of me rooting for pka = 0.
No cheering no bet. Pika is the best chance you have. Read my posts and don't conflate them with Jixon or Mackin's, I clearly acknowledged Pika and Spirit are both threats (I was serious about the dark horse thing) and begged for information about new pushers before you offered up that preposterous wager (how do you get SDC B too if SDC is excluded?) instead of what I was asking for; data, observations, or even a rational theory on say, how Pika can drop 2-3 seconds this year on their own. (someone mentioned their 2 and 5 last year being sub-standard? that's a start)

SigEp has a bigger hill to climb (4-5 seconds) and they have yet to get a buggy to freeroll within 10 seconds of the leaders this year with only truck weekend left to do so.

Spirit ... needs to find at least 5 seconds downhill, stick it in the chute and repeat their '09 pushing effort ... doable, but risky.

As for Fringe DNFing ... I'd put that at very long odds, they have been crazy consistent through the chute for years, KOW.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

TommyK wrote: Pika needs the new blood to be fast or the old dogs to be hungry (last win was 3 years ago) to have one of their good years, and they need to hit a home-run with their first standard tryke in ... 19 years? Hope they guessed right about the axle placement, and I respectfully disagree that high-cis polybutadiene is superior to PU.
Based on what we've seen so far, they seem to have hit at least a long fly ball. Did they guess and get lucky? Or do they just know what they're doing? We'll never know, will we?
The one thing we do know about PiKA is their consistent ability to raise their game when it matters (and they're not dealing with tragedy or double-secret probation). But can they raise it enough? It's certainly a tall order this year.
TommyK wrote:
As for Fringe DNFing ... I'd put that at very long odds, they have been crazy consistent through the chute for years, KOW.
Careful there, Tommy, the race isn't over once you've made it through the chute. And the two horses in the lead have plenty of unfortunate experience with how that goes. And plenty of ways for SDC B/C to be in the picture.
Lemuroid put his cash on the table. I don't see what who he roots for has anything to do with objectively looking at a time sheet and making a prediction about who has a shot.
lemuroid

Post by lemuroid »

lemuroid wrote:
TommyK wrote:.

But seriously ... new pushers on Fringe and SDC is where this year's race will likely be decided. The figures I've seen from Prelims last year showed Fringe beating SDC to the bottom of Hill 4 and then SDC's 4-5 combo wiping the floor with everyone else by 2 seconds. What's the scoop on the replacements? I heard Fringe may not even need a hill 3 anymore either?
So, no one else has a shot? Just SDC and Fringe? way to motivate (everyone else)

I get SDC as a favorite, but mentioning fringe in the same breath takes some big onions. Were it not for an ill advised propane tank, fringe would have been racing sdc B for 2nd last year.

I also have a dvd and some really good video editing gear, by my measure,fringe was the 3rd team to get to the 3-4 exchange in 2010.
Tommy, your comment was not taken out of context and is clear.