Your Favorite Organization Sucks

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Re: Your Favorite Organization Sucks

Post by TommyK »

TommyK wrote:
lemuroid wrote: I also have a dvd and some really good video editing gear, by my measure,fringe was the 3rd team to get to the 3-4 exchange in 2010.
Can that data make its way here somehow?
That'd be sick if the 'History-Races' portion of the site had individual hill times.
I was so proud I made it under 21 seconds pushing the 50lb beast known as Junior when I was hill 1.
lemuroid wrote: I get SDC as a favorite, but mentioning fringe in the same breath takes some big onions.
Mini-raceday was SDC over Fringe by less than a second, sooooo if SDC lost their hill 1 to graduation ... we might be talking some baby pearls, certainly not Vidalias ... and considering bansai is showing malice/bane the short way around right now ... pika is the only other team putting down times under 55 and they could always have landed some zippy pledges this year http://pikes.res.cmu.edu/Pika%20Website/ ... are they still doing push practice way after everyone else?

Margaret Morrison Woman's College used to have its own version of buggy
Keep up dude, very next post I acknowledge Pika and my 'long winded non-acceptance' was to clarify why Fringe and SDC pusher replacements are the most important factor in the winner of the race, not who I thought was in it to win it. If they blow, the replacements, the door is wide open for Pika. Why would I accept a bet against a team I just mentioned as a credible threat? About as preposterous as you cheering for Pika, which is why that's my counter-offer.

Times from Sunday confirm RD11 is on-track to possibly make A-team.
So for everyone's edification Fringe is letting me share some data they've gathered ...

First column is 2011 fastest spring freeroll time from crosswalk to window 0
Second is difference from 2010 fastest spring freeroll time last year.
I think I remember someone telling me Malice went under 51 on raceday 2009 (Carleton? Can you fact-check please?)
Use plenty of salt when digesting this for all the reason's McCue brought up earlier.

Fringe: 51.8_ -1.7
SDC:__+0.6_ -0.1
Pika:__+1.2_ -2.9
Spirit:_+6.8_ -7.6
SigEp:_+13.8 +4.2
CIA:__+15.2 +0.7
Signu: +17.1 +10.1
AePi:_ +19.3 +4.3

If anyone can add raceday deltas it might be even more helpful.
Last edited by TommyK on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Post by nbonaddio »

tl;dr

I will put down large quantities of hard-earned game show money that I will the most drunk person on Raceday. Who wants a piece of the action?
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

I have SDC at 50.85 in 2009 and Fringe in 51.65 (re-roll)

SDC's in 2008 51.00 and Fringe 51.21

I have fringe finals 2010 in 52.07 - cold and windy, no SDC obviously

2007 Fringe fastest, Pika +1 second, SDC broke down (+4 seconds, no finals time)
Melissa.Lee
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 2009

Post by Melissa.Lee »

Fact: Mackin is a Toolbag
TommyK

Post by TommyK »

the cook wrote:I have SDC at 50.85 in 2009 and Fringe in 51.65 (re-roll)

SDC's in 2008 51.00 and Fringe 51.21

I have fringe finals 2010 in 52.07 - cold and windy, no SDC obviously

2007 Fringe fastest, Pika +1 second, SDC broke down (+4 seconds, no finals time)
Anyone want to put money down on someone breaking the 50 second barrier?
Mackin
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2012

Post by Mackin »

Melissa.Lee wrote:Fact: Mackin is a Toolbag
Quite right, I am full of ways to get shit done and done right.
jess_thurston
Graduation Year: 2009

Post by jess_thurston »

Mackin wrote:
Melissa.Lee wrote:Fact: Mackin is a Toolbag
Quite right, I am full of ways to get shit done and done right.
I love when my two favorite people fight :) haha
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

Tommy if you want to go $20 on Fringe breaking the 50 second barrier, you are on. You don't get SDC or Pika or anyone else, just Fringe. If there is only one day of racing, Fringe wrecks every buggy, brings a giant propane tank, hits a dog, etc you still pay the man.
revo
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2000

just 2 horses?

Post by revo »

the "two horse race" bet is intriguing. Using the proposed Lemuroid definition of it being considered a "two horse race" if the 3rd place time is > 1s behind 2nd place. [and generally ignoring that the definition of a >1s gap means there have regularly been 1-horse races where 1st is >1s faster than 2nd]

Out of the last 12 years ('99 through '10) only 2005 & 2009 could be argued as having more than a 2-horse race. And cases where it is a "1-horse" race a couple years it is a different 1-horse race on day 2. (vast majority of the '80s and '90s were 1 or 2 horse races as well under the >1s gap to 2nd/3rd definition)

If tommy were to take the bet that fringe would be one of 2-horses leading the charge it would have been a good bet for each of those years except 1999, (2004 finals if the dq is part of the bet), 2005 finals heats, 2006, 2008, 2009, so recent trends not as good, but basically a 50/50 proposition based on recent past. (and a terrible bet for any year before 1999)

So yeah, betting on a 1 or 2 horse race in mens would make sense - probably be fair somewhere around 7/1 payout if you bet against it happening.

Odds for a specific team being part of top 2 would be interesting.

SDC A/Fringe A would be fairly boring bets based upon the fact that last year is typically a pretty good predictor of this year.
PiKA A, SDC B, Spirit A, SigEp A would be interesting to handicap though.

Oh and I suppose it begs the question, is Lemuroid's bet offer hedging more that this year is an anomaly and is going to be more competitive than usual? or more that he thinks Fringe won't hang in the top 2? (or just trying to get Tommy to put someone money on the table)
TommyK

Post by TommyK »

the cook wrote:Tommy if you want to go $20 on Fringe breaking the 50 second barrier, you are on. You don't get SDC or Pika or anyone else, just Fringe. If there is only one day of racing, Fringe wrecks every buggy, brings a giant propane tank, hits a dog, etc you still pay the man.
Drop 2 seconds by raceday? It's been done. You're on.

As for the chances of a Fringe DNF ... since 2000 that's been Spirit's department.
  • DNF__ DQ _ FSV _Team
    _0 ___ 1 ___ 0 __ DU
    _0 ___ 1 ___ 0 __ Sig Tau
    _0 ___ 5 ___ 2 __ Beta
    _0 ___ 5 ___ 0 __ CIA
    _0 ___ 6 ___ 0 __ AEPi
    _0 ___ 7 ___ 0 __ KDR
    _0 ___ 7 ___ 0 __ Pioneers
    _0 ___ 11 __ 0 __ Fringe
    _1 ___ 4 ___ 0 __ PhiKap
    _1 ___ 7 ___ 0 __ SigEp
    _2 ___ 1 ___ 0 __ Kappa