Day 1 Recap

hvincent
Organization: Pioneers
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2009

Re: Day 1 Recap

Post by hvincent »

I'm assuming you're talking about the board that's up on the hill near where the hill2 jumbotron is; APhiO, who normally does the scoreboard, has apparently been low on manpower this year and decided to cut it as a low priority task of theirs.
Vincent Zeng

Pioneers Chair '09
CIA Chair '08
Driver for Life
nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Post by nbonaddio »

hvincent wrote:I'm assuming you're talking about the board that's up on the hill near where the hill2 jumbotron is; APhiO, who normally does the scoreboard, has apparently been low on manpower this year and decided to cut it as a low priority task of theirs.
Swift, if APhiO cannot run it next year, the KDR Alumni will run one.
mldarm
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by mldarm »

Don't know if this was already mentioned, but Spirit A had one of the best Hill 2 shoves I've ever seen. It looked like he jumped up, hit the pushbar, and did a forward roll, and looked to be unscathed. It definitely looked intentional, but I wonder if he had much chance to practice it beforehand.
nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Post by nbonaddio »

mldarm wrote:Don't know if this was already mentioned, but Spirit A had one of the best Hill 2 shoves I've ever seen. It looked like he jumped up, hit the pushbar, and did a forward roll, and looked to be unscathed. It definitely looked intentional, but I wonder if he had much chance to practice it beforehand.
And I believe he also saluted the buggy as it rolled away. Sick.
rlbrowne
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2014

Post by rlbrowne »

shafeeq wrote:I don't doubt that the cameramen were doing what they intended to do. The policy of always following the lead buggy misses interesting, and sometimes relevant things happening between the last two buggies. (eg: PiKA & SigEp).
I was also disappointed in missing some interesting things happening behind the lead buggy. Perhaps we can talk to CMU TV about this to see if it would be possible for them to cover more than just the lead buggy. (Personally, I would like to always see buggies going through the chute) I wonder if a split-screen setup is even remotely possible...
TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Post by TommyK »

mldarm wrote:Don't know if this was already mentioned, but Spirit A had one of the best Hill 2 shoves I've ever seen. It looked like he jumped up, hit the pushbar, and did a forward roll, and looked to be unscathed. It definitely looked intentional, but I wonder if he had much chance to practice it beforehand.
Too bad it rolled out like a loaf of bread. I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
shafeeq

Post by shafeeq »

TommyK wrote: Too bad it rolled out like a loaf of bread. I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
Better a loaf of bread than spun out.
Besides, its not like _anything_ he did after pushing off was going to affect the buggy, was it? Though if Finals weren't rained out, injuring yourself on Friday would look really dumb.
Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by Carl Nott »

TommyK wrote:I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
I thought we'd finished talking about Design Comp.
shafeeq

Post by shafeeq »

TommyK wrote:
certainly better than spirit's current condition (hint, move your damn axle forward!!! when was the last time you saw a CIA buggy spin?!?)
Spirit seems to have changed the axle lengths on some of theirs over the years, so presumably someone over there is working on the problem. I'm impressed with the SDC's ability to promptly get their spins under control, without overcontrolling and spinning back the other way.

I wouldn't say that CIA has always gotten it right either - you only have to look back a couple of years to find them drifting all over the place. Though, when placed in the same situation as the recent Spirit spins, they would just sit there at an absurd oversteer angle until they scrub off enough speed to make the rest of the turn easy. That's safer, but no way to win the race.

Actually, watching & listening to RD2011 reminds me of a decade ago when our standard trikes were at the top of their game. The same feeling of the driver keeping the buggy balanced just short of the edge. Took an awesome driver, a lot of practice, and a steering that allowed fine control up to and beyond the edge. Too bad I could never convince Ferris that the compromises it required were worth not spinning.
TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Post by TommyK »

shafeeq wrote:
TommyK wrote: Too bad it rolled out like a loaf of bread. I personally thought it was detrimental showboating that didn't help the buggy go any faster.
Better a loaf of bread than spun out.
Besides, its not like _anything_ he did after pushing off was going to affect the buggy, was it? Though if Finals weren't rained out, injuring yourself on Friday would look really dumb.
Watch carefully ... he knows he's about to do a somersault and in setting it up he loses energy on the shove.

If that was part of the plan ... i.e. let's go slow enough so we don't spin out ... nice cover up. Spirit B went all-out, the driver compensated (barely) and they almost beat A-team.

Fringe has competed hard in and won design 12 years in row ... looks like it finally paid off where it matters.