Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Re: Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

Post by TommyK »

tbach0729 wrote: Another idea that was brought up to me - with the rosters submitted in advance anyway, why not grab headshots and basic stats of every team (the driver and 5 pushers / team thats on the course) and do some fun stuff with that like real sports broadcasts do. Might up the 'cool' factor and get some kids involved in buggy that are watching, seeing how seriously its taken and the 'glory' factor. Also would make it fun for the people that are on the course to get a little recognition..
Roster's don't come out til thursday before the races, this is what a few (unbillable) hours of last minute roster googling came up with:

http://cmubuggy.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=380

I think naming the pushers while they are pushing, calling the buggy by its name or the driver's name instead of team designation, and referencing previous performances were all good features of this year's broadcast that really bring personality to the race coverage. I like the idea of highlighting the people and characters in the race rather than the amorphous identity of the frat or org i.e the Casey Piper injury storyline added good depth. Maybe a little less use of generic qualitative adjectives (good, nice, strong) on pusher effort and use more techincal sprinting terms (turnover rate, posture, explosiveness, efficiency, finishing speed). Same for driver lines, (entry, apex, exit). Genuine excitement over things like stop-sign splits, quality lines, unfortunate accidents and stunning push performances was appreciated.

Some of the cmuTv interviews I've seen in years past were total trainwrecks; weird boasting from drunk alums, countless "I can't believe someone is in that thing!", and endless blabbering about mexican food were useless.
Some weren't so bad: http://www.youtube.com/user/CJStratis#p/u/7/c9hQrAZ55xM

I really liked the sepia toned replays of previous years as filler. Thought it was a great tie-in to recent history and provided context for the current race. Gave a good break for the announcers since talking for 3-4 hours straight can be grueling.

Some kind of PR rep on sweepstakes for raceday would be an interesting position - someone responsible for liasing with the broadcasters and the timers so critical information on rulings and confusion about heats can be cleared up to the spectators - seemed like info was getting out just a little slowly.

Don't know what the peak audience was but on the stream I saw it hit at least 450 viewers.
abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Re: Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

Post by abordick »

Hey, Sam does great work, but the pushers and drivers were first initial and full last name on the website. I tried to read more names on the broadcast, but I never had the time to click on each pusher's name so I could get their first names.

Small tweaks, but it would help if I could get the full names for the broadcast easily readable.