Helping New Orgs/Circlejerking

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Helping New Orgs/Circlejerking

Post by Carl Nott »

Just to double-check: Is it a goal of the BAA to encourage and help new orgs participate in buggy? So if, say, a new org needed some assistance in locating welding help or someone to say 'that's fucked; bolt that shit to a steel frame and call it a repair', the BAA should step in and help said new org with participation in buggy, right? Ideally while we all sing kumbaya and wank off our neighbor, right?
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Re: Helping New Orgs/Circlejerking

Post by Ben »

sounds about right. That's essentially what Zatch and I have been doing. You know a good welder for this mystery org?
Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by Carl Nott »

Any bike shop that builds frames should be able to do it, right?

Basically "Hey, we're from CMU and we've got an old aluminum-framed trike that needs some welding done. Can y'all do that?", repeat until yes.*

*I was writing this up as a visual basic routine for the pun but it got kind of complicated and I figured it was veering into the land of the profoundly lame.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

Is their issue finding a place that can do the job? Or coming up with the cash to pay them? Or figuring out why the same thing keeps breaking?
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

Pittsburgh is ripe with good welding shops. They'll clean up the mess with some TIG welding in just an hour or two $120 tops. I used Liberty last time I had something done. You go in there thinking they won't have any idea what you are up to, and they say "hey its one of them buggies from CMU". They've been around and have welded dozens of buggies.
ipmcc
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by ipmcc »

Yeah, Triangle Welding in the Strip was always real happy to drop whatever 500-of-the-same-thing, boring-as-shit fabrication job they were working on and do buggy welding for me, back in the day, at a reasonable (but not free) price.