Buggy 101

aitong
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Buggy 101

Post by aitong »

Ever since the BAA was founded 4 years ago ( and, I'm sure, for a long time before that ), there has been talk of producing a Buggy 101 document. The idea behind this document is that an org that wants to build a 1st buggy can read this, and understand whats involved with building a buggy. The document would not be a step by step instruction book, but rather something that will help a new org build the knowledge base an org "just knows" from years of watching buggies roll. The ultimate goal would be to help with a lot of low hanging fruit problems that might frustrate a new org and prevent building a new buggy.

I'd like to start on this Buggy 101 document this year - the ulitmate goal is to have something in wiki form that is easily searchable and easily updated. This is a pretty big task, and there is a lot of information to cover. Luckily there are alot of alums with alot of ideas about what should go into this. The first question for the members of the BAA is what topics would you want to see covered in a Buggy 101 document?
Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Re: Buggy 101

Post by Jmohin »

1.) We've done this thread before, I'm pretty sure, I think it devolved into some infighting over how much to tell new buggy teams.
2.) To what extent can the existing reference pages sufficeth here?

3.) The topics:
Jobs in a buggy team (Chair, Head Mech, Push captains, bitchworkers of various types)
How to run morning rolls
Fees, deadlines, and requirements for qualifying
How to build
- Materials
- Basics of composites (don't spill the beans, make it short)
- Basics of steering (again, some simple diagrams are fine)
- Basics of wheels (link to the fiberglass hub xootrs, lol)
Safety: harnesses, caping, safeties
A fluffy document about how to get/keep manpower and make everyone like you