Race Day 2013 Comments....

Stratis
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Re: Race Day 2013 Comments....

Post by Stratis »

cmuTV wrote:We're also bumping up against a bit of a deeper conflict here. We always try to serve the buggy community first in our coverage but also make the coverage interesting and exciting for uninformed observers. I think this approach is important for helping Buggy continue to grow but it can sometimes create issues when what's exciting to show is not the same as what Buggy veterans know is important (drop tests).
How about showing the clips/recaps/other content for the uninformed with the buggy fanatic coverage in a small frame as picture-in-picture?

I don't think drops are vital to be broadcast live, but it would lend a bit of a "behind the scenes" detail if it were included.
the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Post by the cook »

While it may be true that you take certain minor risks with the more colorful and experienced buggy commentators such as Mr. Estes, the ability to describe what is actually happening and anticipate what might happen should take precedence.

Not to name names but "Oh Wow! Oh Wow! Oh Wow!" from this year's broadcast leaves a bit to be desired, and must be that much worse for those with only the radio broadcast at their disposal.
shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Post by shafeeq »

So, what is the primary audience for the CMUtv broadcast, anyway? The people watching live on the jumbotrons, the people watching live elsewhere, the people watching a later rebroadcast?

I agree that the coverage during the races themselves is pretty good, so if drops have to be sacrificed to get better replays, then that's a good tradeoff. The two sportscasters are far better both in presentation and knowledge than years ago, but I do feel like the 2 buggy people + 1 sportscaster teams did a better job of picking up on subtle things than the 1 buggy person + 2 sportscasters team. Just because one notices something the other doesn't and brings it up, or they both see the same thing and have two different views on it.

Perhaps a good addition would be to every 3-4 heats, bring in someone like Estes, McCue, Mohin, etc. to recap/make their predictions/stir things up. Plus they only have to stay on the good side of the FCC for 5 minutes.
barney
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by barney »

Was trying to think how I could put this diplomatically, but couldn't.

One of the hottest topics with alumni in the chute, among people who know buggy well and across organizational lines, was how horrendous Jess' broadcasting was. Comments like "If this team wants to win, they're going to have to push faster on their reroll than we saw earlier" really aren't adding anything to the conversation. As a woman I'd like to see a more interesting and knowledgeable representative. I don't know anything about Jess, but I think an ex-driver would make a good addition.

I guess that was more diplomatic than I thought it would be after all.

Peace out.
"that's a motherf*cking rolllllout!"
CRStengel
2nd Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 1993

Post by CRStengel »

cmuTV wrote:WRCT made the decision to leave Estes out due to their concerns about being radio safe. I personally would have loved to have him in the booth but we let WRCT make the final decision this year.

Luke Davis
For what it's worth, I say you don't play to that decision again next year. Let the FCC-concerned folks at WRCT delay their airwaves-bound broadcast with a cough button if they're so scared...jeez, what is this, NPR or a college radio station?

Mark and Andy are like Siskel and Ebert...more effective and entertaining as a team than they would be separately. As to the additional people on mic over the course of the weekend, I offer that having some knowledge of a sport and being able to announce a live sporting event are not synonymous.
McCue
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by McCue »

I actually didn't hear much of the commentary this year besides the "let's get ready to rummmmmbleeeee" guy, but I would guess that filling 4 hours of races with commentary is pretty hard, especially when you have to be careful not to reveal too much about what you know.

I'm down with Shafeeq's suggestion of bringing in guest stars, if for no other reason than that's the way we got this gem from Nik in '05. If there's one thing this sport does not lack, it is talkative, colorful personalities.
SigNuSi
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2010

Post by SigNuSi »

CRStengel wrote:For what it's worth, I say you don't play to that decision again next year. Let the FCC-concerned folks at WRCT delay their airwaves-bound broadcast with a cough button if they're so scared...jeez, what is this, NPR or a college radio station?.
Should be like a underground buggy station..."deep from the bowels of Baker hall its Andy & Mark!"
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"
McCue
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Post by McCue »

"Joining us via satellite, it's Carl Nott."

One day.
Ben
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2011

Post by Ben »

One of the hottest topics with alumni in the chute, among people who know buggy well and across organizational lines, was how horrendous Jess' broadcasting was. Comments like "If this team wants to win, they're going to have to push faster on their reroll than we saw earlier" really aren't adding anything to the conversation. As a woman I'd like to see a more interesting and knowledgeable representative. I don't know anything about Jess, but I think an ex-driver would make a good addition.
I know I heard this other places around the course, but fact of the matter is, Jess is an ex-fringe driver, and helped with the organization side a bit iirc. She also was sweepstakes chair and head judge fairly recently so she has the knowledge.

Sometimes though I feel like I hear some bias towards a few teams and against others, but that's not something you can really eliminate ever, but definitely lessens in strength with time. Like if I were to broadcast, I would have the perspective of BAA writer, mechanic, pusher and driver trainer, but I never actually drove which is an entirely different experience and knowledge base.
Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Post by Carl Nott »

McCue wrote:"Joining us via satellite, it's Carl Nott."
Fuck yeah.